Sunday, January 29, 2006

6 months later

Well, I'm finally finishing up the trip report. Only took me 6 months...

I still think about our trip a lot. Two weeks in the wilderness with no phones, no email, no electricity, no running water, and you have to earn everything you get. There aren't many things left where you get out of only as much as you put into it. I'm certainly proud of the accomplishment. We were really dialed in towards the end of the trip and physically it wasn't something I probably could have walked in and done without some pre-trip training. Maybe more than anything it gave me a purpose. For 12 weeks I had a goal in mind: getting to the end of the Grand Portage under my own power. I miss that tangible purpose (and the scenery).

Soooooo, I'm happy to report that I was excited over the holidays when it looks like Steve's wife green-lighted another trip. We probably have 10 days this time. We're still not sure what route. We could attempt the border route in 10 days. It's doable (we had 2 layover days and a couple of other shorter days) but would reduce the enjoyment a bit I think. A Quetico trip is a possiblity. But I think the current leader is Rainy (International Falls) to Brule. We'd cover some of the same ground but want to hit the interior lakes along Lac La Croix (a favorite spot for both of us). We'll have some big water (can we do 40 miles on day one???) but will have more time on smaller lakes. It will mean more portages but we won't have the Long, Foul, and Grand Portages (almost 12 miles worth) facing us at the end of the trip. We shall see...

Anything we'll do differently this time? Well, less gear, more Mountain House meals. Maybe a new tent or some newer and/or lighter gear. I've officially started training. I can't wait!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home